- Solar energy is the ultimate source of energy available from millions of years and is a renewable energy.
- This energy consists of radiant light and heat energy from the sun.
- Out of all energy emitted by sun only a small fraction of energy is absorbed by the earth.
- Just this tiny fraction of the sun’s energy that hits the earth is enough to meet all our power needs.
- Using present solar techniques some of the solar energy reaching the earth is utilized for generating electricity etc.
- Even then the energy demand met by using solar energy is very less.
Process to use solar energy
- We can use solar energy by converting it to electrical energy for which a device called solar panel is used which can convert the light energy into electrical energy.
- Solar panel is a group of solar cells.
- Solar cells works on the principle of photoelectric effect.
- The photoelectric effect works on the principle that when a light of certain frequency falls on surface of certain materials its electrons absorb its energy.
Uses of Solar Energy
- Water pump
- Solar Ponds
- On an office building the roof can be covered with solar panels to make the office completely work on solar energy.
- Remote buildings such as schools, communities can make use of solar energy.
- In developing countries like India this provides a cost effective and eco friendly way of generation of electricity and other forms of energy.
- Even on roads the street lamps and signals can be connected to a solar panel and made electricity free.
Current Situation in India
- In India, 70% of population lives in rural areas.
- They require very low energy to continue their lives without obstacles. The minimum power requirement is to run two to three bulbs of 3w to 5 w and Mobile charging .
- But unfortunately in rural India there is power shutdown for 8 to 12 hours a day.
- Therefore for fulfilling their requirement of power they don’t have any option other than renewable source of energy.
- In India solar power is available in abundance for 300 days. Yet we have not developed the use of this source of solar energy.
- We have a lot of scope to work in the field of portable solar energy like Portable Home Lighting System, Solar Lantern, Solar Fan, Solar Mobile Charger & Power Bank, Solar Luminaries etc.
Need for portable solar systems
- Portable-It can be carried from one place to another as per requirement of power.
- Government can provide power in distant rural areas where power is scarce and difficult for government to provide.
- Eco-friendly - It produces zero waste and uses renewable source of energy.
- Cost effective - Portable solar power systems are cheap and can be afforded by poor people.
- Compact - It requires less space and can be carried easily.
- Easy to use - It can be used even by the illiterate rural area people and tribals.
- Plenty of solar energy - Solar energy is available in huge quantities throughout the country